Decorating for the winter is fun, but can lead to tragedy if you don’t practice fire safety. Following a few simple fire safety tips can keep electric lights, candles, and Christmas trees enjoyable and safe.
- Don’t place your live Christmas tree close to heat source, such as a fireplace or heat vent.
- Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
- Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Inspect Christmas lights for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive kinking or wear before putting them up.
- Use only non-flammable decorations.